Research Project paper exploring the technical performance and marketability of a new-to-market energy efficiency retrofit solution.
Finalist will present their research to a panel of industry experts.
- Submissions open- 9/1
- Submissions closed- 11/4
- Notifications- 11/18
- Awards Event- 12/1
- Awards Issued- 12/8
- First Prize- $3000
- Second Prize- $1500
- Third Prize-$500
Projects should be submitted online at massenergylab.com/seekcontestform.php.
Complete submissions will include all of the following items:
- Complete Application Form (both members need to complete the form if not entering individually)
- Résumé outlining educational background, work experience, co-curricular and extracurricular activities.
- Proof of enrollment- College Transcript, copy of class schedule ect.
- Research Project Paper: The paper should incorporate detailed information on the product performance and its marketability. The Research Guide (below) should be used to outline your paper
- Testimonials/ Case Study/ Third Party Reports/ Testing 2)
Research Project Criteria:
Entrants are to identify and research new-to-market energy efficiency retrofit solutions that meet the Mass Energy Lab product standards:
- Products should have at least a 10% impact on energy waste reduction
- Reduction capacity should be verifiable
- The installation process should be relatively straightforward
- The primary function of the device should be understandable by technical and non-technical persons
- The solution should be applicable in a variety of commercial buildings
- Under 5 year payback time.
PHASE 1 Research
Identify the following:
- Product Name
- Product Type- Mechanical Electrical Renewable, Other
- Projected Energy Savings
- How did you find the product?
- Manufacturer/Vendor Information?
Company Name, Address, Phone Number, Years in Business, Website URL, Mission Statement, Annual Revenue.
- Executive Management Profiles
Who are the key players in the company?
- Technological Differentiator/ Competitive Advantage
What makes the product unique/ innovative?
- Positives- Top reasons why this product might be marketable/ sellable
- Negatives- Top concerns about marketing/ selling this product
- Bottom Line-
Why should we consider adding this product to our offering.
PHASE 2 Research
Answer the following:
The Seek Energy Innovation Contest is open to any undergraduate or graduate student in Massachusetts entering or attending an accredited degree granting institution. Evidence of enrollment is required. At the time of submission, student members must be enrolled in a degree program (students in certificate programs are not eligible) at a Massachusetts university. Student members include Undergraduates, MBA’s, MD candidates, JD candidates, other Masters Candidates and PhD Candidates. Participants may enter the contest individually or in groups of up to two people.
The Seek Energy Innovation Contest sponsor, affiliates and employees and any entity involved in the production, administration, judging or fulfillment of the contest including, without limitation, the immediate family members and/or those persons living in the same household of such individuals, are not eligible to participate. By entering the Seek Energy Innovation Contest, entrants agree to comply with these rules and the decisions of the judges which are final and binding in all respects. Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification from the contest.
2) Submission Method:
- The contest involves two stages: Submission of the Research Project Paper and th Project Presentation.
- Teams must progress through both stages of the contest. The top 5 entries that pass the first stage of evaluation will be allowed to enter the finals stage and will be able to compete for the Grand Prize.
- Research Project Paper Submission:
- Entries may only be submitted electronically at massenergylab.com/seekcontestform.php or by email. (email@example.com)
- Research Project entries must be submitted no later than November 4th, 2011 at MIDNIGHT EST. Late entries will not be considered
- A complete paper has five components: an Executive Summary, General Product Information, the Market Analysis, Performance Verification (summary of test results, and supporting documents) and the Conclusion.
- The paper should be double-spaced text in a legible font, with one-inch margins; in Portable Document format (.pdf)
- After the first round of submissions have been evaluated, the top 5 entrants will be notified by November 18th, 2011.
- The top five entrants will present their projects to industry experts as well as have a chance to interact with them on December 1st, 2011
- A complete presentation has 3 components: Product performance Review, Product Marketability Assessement, and the Product Pitch
Winners will be announced December 8th, 2011. Winners are determined as those who submitted and presented research projects that were evaluated as superior based on the criteria listed above. The winners will be announced by the Administrator, whose decisions and interpretations on all matters relating to the Seek Energy Innovation Contest and these Official Rules are final and binding in all respects. Administrator reserves the right to disqualify any participant or winner. Potential winners will be notified by an email to the email address provided when entering the contest. Winners must meet all eligibility requirements. Return of a prize or prize notification as undeliverable, or inability of Administrator to contact a potential winner within forty-eight (48) hours of selection, may result in disqualification of such potential winner, and an alternate winner may be selected. In the event a winner declines a prize, Administrator may, at its discretion, select an alternate winner.
- Platinum Prize: One (1) Platinum level prize winner will be awarded worth $3000
- Gold Prize: One (1) Gold level prize winner will be awarded worth $1500
- Silver Prize: One (1) Silver level prize winner will be awarded worth $500
Acceptance of a prize constitutes the winner's consent to the use of his/her voice, name, likeness, biographical information and/or photograph by Sponsor for promotional or advertising purposes in connection with the contest and/or future promotions and contests . Lost or stolen prize will not be replaced by Sponsor. Prize does not include any other item or expense not specifically described in these Official Rules. Prize may not be transferred. Only listed prizes will be awarded and no substitutions or other equivalents or redemption will be made. Winners agree to accept the prize "as is”. Any valuation of the prizes stated above is based on available information provided to Administrator and the value of any prize awarded to a winner may be reported for tax purposes as required by law. Winner is solely responsible for reporting and paying any and all applicable taxes. Winner may need to provide Administrator with a valid taxpayer identification number or social security number before any prize will be awarded.
5) General Conditions:
The Seek Energy Innovation Contest is void where prohibited by law and is governed by the laws of the United States of America. The submission of an entry is the responsibility of the entrant. Only eligible entries received within Entry Period will be evaluated. Contest Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, delayed, unclear, incomplete, misdirected or ineligible entries, which will be disqualified, or for technical, hardware, software or telephone malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Seek Energy Innovation Contest which may limit the ability to participate, or by any human error that may occur in the processing of the entries in the Seek Energy Innovation Contest. Any person attempting to defraud Administrator or Sponsor or in any way tamper with, damage or undermine the operation of the Seek Energy Innovation Contest will be disqualified and may be subject to civil and/or criminal prosecution.
6) Release of Liability:
Each Entrant hereby releases and agrees to indemnify Mass Energy Lab representatives, officers, directors, board members, employees, the Judges and advertising and promotion agencies against any and all loss, damages or liability which the Entrant might incur by reason of the Entrant’s Submission or participation in the Contest, including without limitation, personal injury or death to Entrant, or any other person or damage to personal or real property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to Entrant’s participation in the Contest, or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the cash awards.
Entrants hereby grant to Mass Energy Lab the right to, use, post and publish details for all submissions and the right to use, post and publish the Finalist Concepts in whole or in part on the Mass Energy Lab web site and in other promotional, advertising and publicity material they consider appropriate, including (without limitation) for the purpose of promoting Mass Energy Lab without additional compensation.
Entrants further grant to Mass Energy Lab the right to use their first and last names, photographs, voice(s), city and state of residence(s), project details and other relevant information in trade, public relations, advertising and promotional activities in any media now and hereafter without further compensation, permission or notification.
No Entrant can take part (or agree to take part) in any media interviews or events, or issue any press releases or other announcements regarding participation in the contest without the prior agreement of Mass Energy lab. No Entrant shall refer to the contest or permit it to be referred to by any third party for the purpose of promoting or publicizing any company or business other than Mass Energy Lab. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in disqualification.
8) Contest Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Seek Energy Innovation Contest is Mass Energy Lab, Inc. ("Sponsor"). The administrator of the Seek Energy Innovation Contest is Mass Energy Lab, Inc. ("Administrator"). Administrator will conduct the contest as described in these Official Rules. By participating in the Seek Energy Innovation Contest, each entrant agrees to the Official Rules of the contest.